Sunday, March 4, 2007

First night in the city

That’s it – I’ve done it! Flew into New York on a one-way ticket.

I arrived on Saturday night, tired and weary (after one last night out with friends). It’s funny how I am looking at the city differently now that I know I’m going to be living here. It’s not an unattainable dream anymore, but it still feels new and exciting, albeit more real.
I am noticing the beggars more, how run down the buildings are, how unsophisticated supermarkets are (I miss Marks & Spencer already!). How normal people are here too … it’s not as glamourous as when looking at the city with the eyes of a tourist. Even clothes don’t seem as cheap somehow – although that’s probably because I am now paid in US dollars!

Yet, I still love it. Looking out of my window, taking in the view of Broadway – the taxis snaking up & down the busy avenue, the “Do Not Walk” signs glittering, the subway entrance around the corner, the very New York looking red bricks building in front of me, the smoke coming out of the subway air vents, the beautifully arranged fruits & vegetables in the shopfront of the grocery store.

I keep looking at this spectacle happening in front of my eyes and I still can’t believe I’ve made it! I’m living in New York! From a half-baked dream that I never thought would really come true, to it really happening. I must be the luckiest girl alive!

No comments: