Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Back in Blighty

I have spent the last couple of weeks in London as my US work visa was up for renewal (2 more years in NYC!).

The last time I was in here was over a year and a half ago and I have been delighted/amused/occasionally annoyed to realise that in all that time I was away, I had forgotten :

How intelligent, interesting and caustically funny British television is. Without a doubt the best programming in the World.

How yummy Pret A Manger sandwiches and salads are.

That whilst it doesn't rain nearly as much as one would think, the skies do bear a shade of grey most of the time unfortunately.

How much I miss English pubs (dark and cosy, complete with exposed bricks, low ceilings and ideally an open fire place) and even more when they serve a proper Sunday Roast (lightly pink and thinly sliced beef, perfectly roasted potatoes, string beans, a voluminous Yorkshire pudding and rich gravy).

How the other half lives until one of my friends let me stay in her $1.8M apartment set in a quiet Chelsea mews for a week, minutes from ultra-chic Kings Road. Living the life of a posh girl about town was really, really hard but someone had to do it!

What normal/human sized packets of crisps and chocolate bars looked like.

How eye-wateringly expensive public transport is, with a return zone 1 ticket on the Tube costing almost $8. And to add insult to injury, the noticeably increased presence of taxis on the streets is only explained by the fact that they are now prohibitively pricey!

That I am apparently old enough now to genuinely enjoy listening to Radio 4 every morning ...


I've had a really wonderful time rediscovering London, going back to old haunts and finding new ones, but most of all catching up with a ton of friends. One thing is for sure ... I won't leave it as long to come back again.

No comments: